Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
GGA presents Page County Jail proposal
top story

GGA presents Page County Jail proposal

  • Updated
  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}
HJ - Standard Page County Jail

During the April 6 Page County Board of Supervisors meeting, Goldberg Group Architect out of St. Joseph, Missouri, gave a proposal on the county jail project.

GGA specializes in structures designed for law enforcement. Founder Larry Goldberg said the practice had planned over 300 justice projects nationwide, working in 27 states.

Goldberg said putting a law enforcement center together is not like designing an office building. It is a series of complex pieces, operations, standards that have to fit together precisely, he said.

“So the idea of designing a law enforcement and justice project without having a parallel development of staffing operations never made sense to us,” said Goldberg. “Which is why in 40 years, I’ve always had a criminologist on my staff who have been retired jail administrators.”

Goldberg said he was the first and, to his knowledge the only, practice and architect who is also a municipal advisor.

Support Local Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.
{{featured_button_text}}

“So what this means is that I can not only help you guys with the planning of your facility, I can help you with the structuring of its financial obligation, its budget and staffing operations,” said Goldberg.

Goldberg said construction costs are hard right now. He said copper prices are going up and materials are just as bad. Goldberg said the current cost of a project is $550 to $600 per square foot.

Goldberg said the practice’s fee of 7.5% is included in those figures. He also noted that the fee includes architecture, interior design, FFE (furniture, fixtures and equipment) and audit.

“It also includes my criminological services, which is needs assessment,” said Goldberg.

Goldberg said 80% of the project dollars are budgeted for construction. The other 20% is for fees, testing, FFE and contingencies.

Goldburg said GGA is efficient in the utilization of space. He said while that doesn’t control construction costs, it would control the square footage cost.

Supervisor’s did not take any action.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics